Friday, August 10, 2012

Machu Pichu: spaces and places

Now I could go on and on about details and research on the Inca and theories of Machu Pichu, and part of me feels like I should in an effort to better communicate its magnificence, but instead I'd like to share how the physical experience and mystery of this place impacted me...

At dawn we caught the first ride up from Aguas Calientes to the summit, as we got off the bus the sun was rising. From the entrance we walked up to the main overlook, the morning air was crisp and the short but steep hike up got my blood pumping. As my senses were awakened I had a brief moment to myself taking in the powerful view, overlooking the city, breathing...After we took a group picture we started in on a tour of the city and I began to feel overwhelmed and distracted by the rush of tourists. However, as we moved through the city I felt a powerful sense of connection to the past as I looked at the spaces around me imagining how the Inca moved through the city, feeling what it felt like to walk through the terraces, climb up and down the walk ways, peer through windows and door ways... While our tour guide was educating us on the places, the Temple of the Sun, the Temple of the Condor, the Royal Tomb... I was looking at the spaces in between, exploring the power of the physical surroundings, responding to the environment, imagining new perspectives...                             

                               Spaces 







































   








 



 

 






                                                                                                                                                         Places







Temple of the Condor



Winnu Pichu, The Puma 



Compass Stone aligned with the Southern Cross

Temple of the Sun



Royal Tomb

































No comments:

Post a Comment